Monday, August 27, 2012

Why I Love Rock Wrens!

 I mentioned before that we have a greater population of rock wrens on our property this year than I ever remember seeing in the past. The wren pictured here is the one that built its nest in our garden. I am pretty sure it is on its second brood of the year since most of the others have already left to head south and yet it is still feeding its young.
You may think the three shots on the bottom are all the same but I guarantee you they are not. These four photos were taken over the period of about a half hour.

Approximately every ten minutes this overworked bird arrives with yet another grasshopper for its offspring.
 I would love to see it bringing in the rocks for the nest. Next year I will have to be on the lookout for that. My guess is that each of the rocks in the nest must weigh close to the same amount as the bird.

No comments:

Post a Comment