Monday, May 23, 2011

Stately Birds

The meadowlark is the official bird of six states, including Wyoming. It is not surprising when you realize it has both good looks and a great sound in its favor! Add that to the fact that it is a symbol of warmer weather - at least in this state - and how could it not be given such an honor?

I may be one of the few people who enjoys looking at the back of a meadowlark as much as the front. I think the complexity of the black and white patterning is beautiful. And the surprise of discovering the bright yellow front when he raises his head to sing is just a wonderful bonus to an already incredible viewing.

This is the classic meadowlark pose for photos. What a work of art!

Isn't it surprising how much he blends in to the branches, even with the beacon on his chest?





Yesterday I had the amazing experience of seeing a pair of red-naped sapsuckers down by the irrigation ditch. That was a first sighting for me and maybe the only one in my life of that particular species. Unfortunately the only photo I got was totally out of focus - it had just enough detail for Ken to confirm I saw what I thought I did!

1 comment:

  1. I am so jealous! We don't get Meadowlarks at our place - too many trees, or maybe the elevation. They were my favorite from childhood in the Gallatin Valley near Bozeman. These pictures are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete