Sunday, July 1, 2012

Beartooth Birds

Note: Today's post is dedicated to the memory of Elizabeth McCabe, formerly of Moose, Wyoming. Although I never met Ms McCabe, her wildlife and landscape photos of Wyoming have inspired me for many years. Elizabeth took her last photo for the Jackson Hole News and Guide about two weeks ago. She died last week at the age of 101.

All male mountain bluebirds are the same color, more or less. But like water, the depth and intensity of the blue we see is a reflection of the sky above. The bird pictured here is one we saw hunting bugs as we were hiking out of the Morrison Jeep Trail on top the Beartooths on Friday. I guarantee you I did not saturate the color on this guy. But he is one of the bluest bluebirds I have ever seen!


 The bird seen here was present at Duck Lake as we were fishing. It is a spotted sandpiper.They are uncommon but widespread across the country. I love the look of the water in the background and his very graphic shadow on the rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment