Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Raven Update

 With the recent winter weather followed by a day or two of strong winds, I thought I should go check on the raven babies yesterday.

There were a couple surprises. First was the fact that the three are now one. Two years does not a study make, but I am starting to think that ravens are like bald eagles: they have two or three young and then let them fight for food until only the strongest survives. It seems a cruel way to enter this world but I have to assume it has a genetic benefit over time.

The other surprise was the size of the remaining baby - he has grown significantly since last I saw him. He almost looks like a full grown raven now and I suspect it won't be long before he fledges.

I looked at last year's record and see the baby left the nest on June 22.

In this third photo the baby has his eyes "closed".

No comments:

Post a Comment