Tuesday, June 26, 2012

New Residents

Yesterday evening I opened the back door and startled a mama mule deer and her very young offspring. They had undoubtedly come in to the yard for a drink, which I hope they got before I inadvertently scared them back to the rocks.  
 This morning I opened the front door to let out Frank the cat and the first thing I saw was the golden eagle sitting on a hillside across from me. As I debated grabbing the camera, I caught sight of mama mule deer, head down, running at the eagle as if she were a bull and he the matador! The goldie apparently didn't like what he saw and he took to the air, headed south, as fast as he could go.  Mama watched him for about a minute before turning and walking back in the opposite direction. As she drew near a large juniper bush, up from the greenery popped her youngster. The baby seems to find it almost impossible not to run and jump, even in the intense heat of the past few days.
After breakfast I decided to water the garden and as I walked outside I caught sight of the second new visitor. He is also cute as can be but I am afraid he is not welcome to stay. This is an infamous pack rat; one of the most destructive rodents alive, I think. In this photo he is wedged between the house and the grill. The war is on.

No comments:

Post a Comment