Sunday, July 3, 2011

Running Experiment

I don't know how many times I have said that I wish I could carry my camera on my morning run. But when you shoot a 10lb Canon 7D like I do, even walking with it is a commitment! I think Ken got tired of my whining because he came home from Billings yesterday and handed me a Nikon Coolpix S8100. From March until November each year I run with a butt pack so I can carry my bear spray. The Nikon fits easily into the pack and I don't even know I am carrying it.

It is definitely a compromise. The colors are not as true as with the Canon nor is the resolution anywhere close (as one would expect with this type of camera.) But that is a small price to pay. Bigger issues are getting used to the lack of a view finder and the extra time I am now going to have to allot for my daily run!
 My first subject this morning was a buck antelope. He let me know he was there with his usual huff. They sound so insulted when they snuffle at you! But instead of running away from me, he ran across in front and ducked under the BLM fence, putting him much closer than he had been to start with.
 I was able to take a shot of Heart Mountain with a yucca foreground.
 At the turn-around in the northeast corner I heard the familiar tch,tch, tch that makes my heart pound. You may have to click on the images to get a good look at the first rattler of the year. Usually by this time we would have seen a dozen or more but they have been scarce this spring. The poor photo quality has nothing to do with the camera. Even though I like snakes and even though my brain tells me there is no danger from this one, my body reacts with a visceral response every time I hear a rattler. It is tough to take a steady shot when your already exercise-elevated heart rate suddenly gets an extra shot of adrenaline!

No comments:

Post a Comment