Saturday, July 2, 2011

Near Misses and Follow-Up

Near Misses

The problem with photographing wildlife is that they don't always want to sit still and pose. I was outside last night when I was surprised to see two cedar waxwings land on a tree nearby. Surprised because we rarely see them this time of year - they are usually fall visitors. By the time I ran inside to get the camera they had moved to a ground wire on the roof of the garage. My only photo is of a pair of beautiful birds in a not-so-beautiful setting!
 Near miss #2 happened this morning. I looked out the window to see two mule deer bucks posing perfectly in the light of the rising sun. By the time I got in position there was one buck left and he was standing in the shade.  At least he waited in the middle of some blooming yucca!

Follow Up


A couple days ago I asked if anyone could help identify this bird I observed near Bondurant. It was driving me crazy so last night I pulled out the Roger Tory Peterson book of western birds for another go. By chance (??) when I set the book down it fell open to the page on Buntings. Eureka! Meet Mrs. Lazuli Bunting. Not to be sexist but I wish I could have also seen her strikingly colorful mate!
Follow-up #2
I said I would post a photo that better depicts the 3-D nature of my challenge quilt "Seven Billion and Counting". So here it is.

1 comment:

  1. All the wildlife you have around you is stunning.

    And that quilt...incredible.

    ReplyDelete