Sunday, June 5, 2011

Gifts

 The original plan was to continue posting about the birds and scenery of Green River but sometimes life presents you with unexpected gifts and it is best to accept the offering!

Yesterday I noticed movement in the honeysuckle bush. When I looked more closely, I was amazed to discover an adult male MacGillivray's Warbler perched on one of the branches. Never heard of it? Neither had I! And, more amazing, neither had Ken! The giveaway is the white around the eyes, giving it a somewhat devilish look. Not only are these birds uncommon, they are normally found in deciduous patches near water (according to Sibley). I suspect the recent high winds may have had something to do with his apparent detour.

What a treat!




The garden flowers are finally starting to bloom. The columbines will be in full riot this week.

Speaking of nature's gifts, I was given yet another this morning. I saw something on my morning run I have never seen before. As I approached the SE corner I suddenly realized there were two giant jackrabbits nose to nose on the trail in front of me. This is amazing for a number of reasons:
- I have never seen two jackrabbits together before.
- They tend to be nocturnal so when I do see one it is almost always in the headlights of the car.
- When you are used to seeing cottontails everyday, seeing even one jackrabbit is like seeing Godzilla when you are expecting a sand lizard!
The pair saw me at the instant I saw them and took off in opposite directions. The one on the left looped off like a normal jack. The one on the right began pronging on all fours - just like a fleeing mule deer or a happy llama. Every prong took it a couple feet in the air before all four legs touched down and it pogo-ed up again. It was a truly wondrous sight to behold!  

No comments:

Post a Comment