Friday, June 10, 2011

Contest!

I have decided to post my first ever blog contest - but you have to work to win a prize!

Some wildflowers have wonderfully creative names that allow a listener to envision the plant without ever having seen it. Gayfeather, Elephanthead and Miner's Candle (pictured left) are just a few of my favorites. Then there are those poor flowers that suffer from the ego of their discoverer: the delicately purple, very feminine Douglasia comes to mind.

But worst of all are those flowers whose names display a distinct lack of imagination. The lovely plants below grow in abundance on our place in late spring. Their name - Golden Weed. Really? That was the best they could do?

The contest is to come up with a better name for these flowers. Perhaps something that signifies their sunny nature. The person who comes up with the best alternative - as determined by me and a few of my friends - will win a three pack of my Light in the Valley greeting cards. I leave tonight for the National Quilting Association Convention in Columbus, Ohio and will be away from my blog for the entire next week. That means you have 10 days to come up with the perfect moniker and save this plant from further disgrace! The winner will be announced upon my return on June 20.
To submit your entry just leave a comment on this post or send an email to kathylich@yahoo.com with your name, your suggestion and the words flower contest in the subject line.





Since I will be gone for a while I wanted to provide an update on the raven babies. I have been trying to leave them alone and give them time to gather strength. I figured with the crazy weather - 65 mph winds, torrential rains and record breaking cold for this time of year, they probably had enough stress to deal with. I keep thinking I can hear two distinct baby bird voices at feeding time but I can only absolutely verify one chick alive, well and hungry as of yesterday.

2 comments:

  1. Honeydrops. I was going to say sundrops but I googled it and there is already a similar looking plant named sundrops. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prairie Paddle Star, since the petals look like little oars.

    ReplyDelete