Tuesday, January 31, 2017

One Winter Day


 Yesterday morning I complained to Ken about the fact that it was much harder to be a nature photographer in Wyoming in the winter months. The wildlife and birds are limited in variety and don't seem to travel as much. Yellowstone is closed from this direction and there is just so much snow everywhere!

Then I looked out the window and saw a coyote standing on the rocks. I grabbed the camera and began snapping as another dog moved into the frame and then a third. I know from experience these canines are sensitive to the slightest sound and movement so all my shots were taken from inside the house but what a thrill to watch them hunting cottontails!

We have a family of four coyotes that has been living on our place for three to four years now. This is the group that has a member with only three legs that I believe is the mother. I am a little concerned that I haven't seen her since the start of the heavy snows about six weeks ago but I am hoping she is just saving her strength while the rest of the pack hunts.
A few hours later I headed over to Powell to teach a class at Northwest College. Along the way I passed a field where I counted 5 Ring-necked Pheasant cocks and three hens. Like the coyotes, they are incredibly quick to flee once a vehicle so much as slows down anywhere nearby but I managed to get at least one good shot of a male before he ran away from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment