Saturday, February 18, 2012

More Media Class

 Another assignment for my media class involves capturing photos of sporting events. So last weekend I did something I haven't done for years - I went to a hockey game! Cody has a team called the Yellowstone Quake and they were kind enough to allow me access to a spot where I could get some shots without being behind glass. The Quake won the game 6 to 3.

There are two critical words in sports photography: action and reaction. Without one or the other it is tough to get a picture others want to see.

I learned a lot about shooting in this particular environment during the game. I would love to go back again now that I have a sense of what I need to do.

In the first photo, above, I have a little bit of both - action, in the fight, and reaction, in the little boy behind the glass cheering them on.
 This second photo is definitely about the reaction of the opposing player after the Quake scored their fourth goal.
The last shot shows the action of the puck hitting the back of the net as the Quake make it 5 to 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment