Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Sssssnakes

There are two types of snakes we see regularly on our property: bulls and rattlers. The bullsnakes tend to be much larger than the rattlesnakes and they are non-poisonous so we welcome them for their rodent hunting skills.

The biggest bull snake I have ever seen was in our garden this spring. He is trying to look ferocious in this photo to the left but he is really quite harmless. I love the smooth, cool feel of these reptiles but I try not to harass them by picking them up unless they are in danger's way.
 We have not seen the big guy all summer but we assumed he - or a friend - was near as we have had less issues with pack rats this summer than is usual. Then, two days ago, we discovered the skin above in the garden. It is in perfect shape and almost 6 feet long! What an amazing feat to be able to shed your skin once it is old and dry. Don't you wish you could do that?!
Yesterday while jogging I ran into the other, less welcome variety of snake. This rattler was kind enough to shake his tail at me as I went by - causing a  Michael Jordon, mid-air windmill moment - but then he pulled in and tried to hide from me as I aimed the camera. He is a pretty good size as well. You can see his rattles tucked under his left side but I was not able to count the actual number. His head is just visible under the small sage plant on the right.
Look at these scales - aren't they beautiful?

No comments:

Post a Comment