Saturday, August 13, 2011

Full Moon

Knowing that the full moon would be visible this morning and that the weather forecast was for clear skies, I set the alarm for 4:30 am and headed for Powell with my camera in the early morning darkness. My timing was perfect - even with the hour drive - my location good, but my planning left a little to be desired. I remembered the thermos of coffee but forgot my tripod! So I ended up with one or two usable photos of the moon setting behind Heart Mountain but not the shots I was really trying to get. 
On the way home across the bench I looked over and saw a herd of antelope running across the prairie with Heart in the background.  
 As I turned in my drive about 6:30am I glanced at one of my favorite rocks and saw a big cottontail lapping up the sun. I took a couple shots of her before I realized she was not alone. In the photo above you can see a rock wren sitting on the left side of the picture and below you can see the baby bunny seated to her right!

The real bonus came when I neared the house and saw the eagle sitting on a bush just off the drive. He has been around just about every day for the past week but in the distance as a silhouette. This morning he had apparently been hunting bunny and may have trapped one in the bush below.

1 comment:

  1. Incredible photos once again! That first one took my breath away...even if you didn't have your tripod.

    ReplyDelete