Monday, August 22, 2011

Spogen Lake

Ken and I decided to take advantage of a week without obligations and  head for the hills. Our destination was Spogen Lake, a favorite camping spot about ten tough miles in from the Clay Butte Trailhead. The funny thing is that the Lake sits at about the same elevation as the starting point - but in between is 4000' of vertical in peaks and valleys!

Our plan was for a five day trip but we got chased out a day early by the mosquitoes. Never have I seen the bugs this bad this late in the summer. Ken and I were okay with our bug nets but the poor llamas were pretty miserable during the warmer daylight hours. We spray them down but can't do their faces (they don't understand they need to close their eyes!) and that is where the mosquitoes attack.

I will post a few photos of the trip over the next few days. The first shot, above, was taken on the way in.
This is the view from the highest point of the hike - 10, 400' - just before you drop down to Spogen. I did not want to carry my heavy Canon 7-D camera into the back country so these were taken with an older Rebel. I am amazed at the difference in picture quality from the newer camera.. 



Most people camp at one of the two lakes above Spogen or right at the falls. We prefer the southern end because it has a pretty good pasture and it provides the best view of the falls.
Our campsite was at the end of the lake where it drops into a tight stream and heads down about a quarter mile to Whitcomb Lake. In the photo to the left I was able to place myself below the level of Spogen Lake, creating a mirror pond from my vantage point.  



We were surprised by the hordes of mosquitoes - especially since we had frost each night. This last photo was taken the first morning. Hobbit seemed fascinated by the falls. You can see the frost on his back. 

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photos. Hobbit reminds me of my Shelby when she watches TV...just much bigger.

    ReplyDelete