Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The Difference a Day Makes

 Not only have I not been able to get out my driveway for about a week, until last evening I haven't been able to see past my front yard for days. It wasn't until I awoke to sunshine and blue skies this morning that I realized how much the gray silence had been affecting my mood.

The reason for the isolation is, of course, the snow that has been falling non-stop for the last five days. With snow up to mid-thigh it has been a struggle just to push my way through to the llama corral to feed the animals; a hike or run has been totally out of the question.

Thank heavens for cross country skis or I probably would have gone crazy several days ago. With the amazing clarity and warmth of the sun this morning (even though the thermometer was still reading 7*) I decided to grab my camera and backpack and ski the three miles to the mailbox and back. Normally a six mile ski would be a nice couple of hours of moderate effort but with having to break trail through almost three feet of snow it felt like work, even with the beautiful views!

They are forecasting more snow starting Friday so it may be another week before I can get a vehicle out the drive. At least now I have a trail broken to the mailbox and back.
The bunnies are starting to show their noses after being buried for almost a week. 

The mouse that made this trail is lucky to be light enough to stay on top of the 3' of snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment