Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Mulies


In the summer months we get our share of visiting mule deer. In some cases, such as the two bucks in the bottom photo, they are transient.

In other cases, like the mama and baby in the first photo, they are relatively long term residents, hanging out all summer long.

I have to wonder if the fawn in the first photo will grow up to tell its children about the day it escaped death. Because it literally did just that - with a little help.

My basic philosophy is to leave nature alone. Sometimes that is easier said than done. About a month ago I stepped outside and heard the screams that can only come from a baby deer in mortal danger. It was heart wrenching and I couldn't stand it so I took off on a run to see what the problem was. As I came over the hill I spied this fawn on the ground with two coyotes attached. One had it by the neck and they other was taking a piece from its rump. I yelled at the canines and they fled, leaving behind what I was sure was a dead baby. As I got closer I realized the fawn was gasping and its heart was beating so hard I could actually hear it! I knelt on the ground beside it and stroked its back, trying to calm it down, waiting for it to die. Instead, after about 10 minutes, it got shakily to its feet and took off at a full sprint for the hills!

At that point I worried I had condemned it to an even worse death of bleeding out all alone and scared. Again it surprised me when it showed up about two weeks later with its mother. It has been hanging around the house ever since.

If you look closely you can see the scars on its neck.  The one on its right hip is out of sight. It is pretty awful but it looks healed. It is one lucky baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment