Friday, March 17, 2017

Spring!

The signs of spring are unmistakable! Yes, the temperature is climbing and the snow has melted but more than that, the wildlife is making the statement loud and clear. I saw my first bluebird four days ago and now it seems like there is one on every fence post. The cottontails are digging holes everywhere and carrying in lots of straw and llama wool at every chance. But the biggest indicators are the ravens. They hang around all winter and occasionally raid a rock dove nest but this time of year is when they truly spring into action (pun intended!) They suddenly become very intolerant of all other creatures - especially the golden eagles that they ignored all winter long - and they are working non-stop on their annual nest in the rocks behind our house. They are very aware of my presence even when I try my best to remain incognito so I will leave the nest alone now until the chicks are hatched and then set up a blind to try and get some shots without disturbing them. 
 In the photo, above, I didn't even realize the one bird was in the nest until I began photographing the second one as he landed and then saw the one low in the back hand up a stick to be re-placed elsewhere. I can just imagine the conversation about furniture placement in the nursery!
 I captured the second photo this morning as the raven dive bombed the Golden Eagle who was sitting quietly minding his business and waiting for a bunny to pass by. As always, the eagle pretended he didn't care that he was being buzzed by a screeching black demon.
Just a few minutes after the raven went after the eagle, I heard him making a ruckus on the other side of the canyon. When I looked through my lens, I saw him confronting a coyote who didn't seem too happy with the interruption.

Spring has definitely arrived!

No comments:

Post a Comment