Sunday, March 12, 2017

Around the GYE - Continued

One of my favorite Wyoming winter birds is the Crossbill. What an evolutionary marvel to have a beak that has been perfected in such a way to allow access to their main food source!

We don't see this species in the high desert - occasionally I have been lucky enough to spot them in Yellowstone on a winter trip and, in this case, he landed in the trees along the road. I would have preferred shooting him in a little sunlight but I will take what I could get!
 The photo below shows the sight-seeing wagon heading out onto the National Elk Refuge in Jackson. Even though I have concerns about the health of the herd under these man-made conditions, I have to admit this looks like a Christmas card to me.

 It is March so love must be in the air for this pair of Common Mergansers. Their coloring seemed especially intense, which I suspect is due to the mating plumage.

Sleeping Indian Mountain was sleeping in early one morning as we headed north to ski Shadow Mountain. 

There were actually three coyotes in this hunting pack, below, but I only captured two as the third had already moved off to the right. The lighting was beautiful both on the animals and the Teton Range behind them. 

 We decided to take a quick drive back the Gros Vente one morning on our way to a cross country ski trail. For miles along the road we followed wolf tracks indicating a pack of at least five animals. At one point Ken got out and took a shot of his foot next to one of the large wolf prints. About five miles in we came around a corner and caught sight of two wolves scurrying up a snowy slope near the road.  The first one had a muzzle covered in blood so they must have been dining on a carcass near by. The second one had just a hint of pink around its mouth.
 It is always a thrill to see the big dogs, even if they are quite a ways away.

No comments:

Post a Comment