Sunday, December 9, 2012

Bridal Veil Revisited

 With final projects well underway at the college, I feel like I have been chained to the studio and my computer for the last few weeks. Therefore when today presented itself as sunny and bright we decided to take the opportunity to hike to nearby Bridal Veil Falls even though the thermometer was hovering in the single digits.
The falls are absolutely gorgeous at any time of year but especially so in the winter months when the water vapor on the top turns to ice. Very few people seem to visit this spot - which is pretty well hidden if you don't know its location - even in the summer but this time of year you are pretty much guaranteed a private showing.

The falls are not that easy to photograph because of their location back a relatively narrow canyon. But the view when you get there is worth it, in my opinion. In this first image I have merged five separate photos to create a panorama. The size of the original image is more than 40 inches high and 23 inches wide.

 I was determined to photograph this icicle before we left. I think its steely appearance and the reflection of the sun in its crown is pretty amazing.
The last photo is here to give a little perspective on the size of the falls. Ken is almost 6' tall so you can see that they are actually pretty impressive in their size!

No comments:

Post a Comment