Sunday, January 22, 2012

Color

 For Christmas I received a wonderful book from my step-daughter titled "The Practice of Contemplative Photography" by Andy Karr and Michael Wood. It is an interesting and thought-provoking combination of lessons in photography and Buddhism.

I took the book with me to Yellowstone and read as far as the first project - on color. Basically the idea is to take pictures of color. You are to ignore the "what" of the item and just focus on the shapes and patterns created by the color of the object(s). They specifically said that black, white, grey, brown, beige were not colors for the purpose of the exercise and also suggested you not attempt shots of nature since the subject was more likely to overwhelm the visual design. Easier said than done in the middle of a National Park!

My first shot was taken in YNP and yes, it was in nature because that was my only choice at the time. I rather like the way the trail marker stands out in the muted colors of the forest along Howard Eaton trail.
 I have been house ridden with a miserable cold for the last two days so decided to continue my pursuit of color shots indoors today. The shot above is of a colander hanging in the window in my kitchen.
 Next is part of a vase in a small alcove.
 I really like this shot of sunlight coming through the stained glass side windows of my front door. The colors were warmer and more intense on the tile floor than they were in the window itself.
Last up is the back of an old leather chair in the sunlight from a window.

No comments:

Post a Comment