Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Tolerance and Compassion

Rattlesnake coiled on the trail, level to the ground
I dragged my husband out of bed at 5 am this morning so we could hike to a location from which I wished to photograph the Clark's Fork Canyon at sunrise. The place I was envisioning setting up was a short drive away, followed by a hike of about a mile and half and an elevation gain of just under 1000'. We had been to this spot before and I knew it would be spectacular in the early morning light. 
There is no official route to the top but there are a few faint animal trails here and there. I was leading the way, following one of the paths between some small rocks when I heard Ken swear behind me. I went back to his location but it wasn't until he pointed to the ground that I saw this all-but-invisible rattlesnake coiled up right in the middle of the trail. Ken had been about to step on top of him. I obviously walked right over him and didn't even know he was there! Which brings me to the point of this post. 

I am sure that if I am ever bitten by a rattler, many of the comments will suggest I had it coming. I realize that is partly my fault - I talk about the venomous reptiles on a regular basis and no doubt my musings come across as cavalier at times. But I assure you that I have a healthy respect for these animals and the damage they can do. I protect myself by knowing their habits and by trying to be vigilant when I am in their territory. But stuff happens. And I refuse to sit in my house, avoiding the outdoors, just because I live in the land of bears, cougars and rattlesnakes! 

Panoramic view of Clark's Fork Canyon in the early morning
 There have been two instances of people being attacked by an elk in the Mammoth area over the last couple days. The first victim was a woman who works at the hotel and lives on the grounds. She was severely injured and had to be life-flighted to Idaho. The reports state that the cow elk was protecting her newborn calf which she had hidden nearby. The woman almost certainly did not realize the young elk was there nor that she was placing herself between mama and baby. Yet the comments on the post released by the National Park Service are almost entirely accusatory, suggesting the woman was "stupid" and "an idiot" for putting herself in that position. I am appalled by the lack of compassion and understanding for this tragic event. Yes, there are visitors to the park who choose to put themselves in harm's way by taking selfies next to a bison or trespassing on the fragile ground but there are also times when the unexpected happens and all our careful habits can't protect us from the surprise encounter. All we can do is our best.
Cultural site - probably Native American - on a hillside near the canyon

4 comments:

  1. Glad Ken didn't step on the rattlesnake (or you)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Kathy. Sometimes with the best preparation, things still happen. We are not alone in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank heavens because what a rich and diverse world it is!

      Delete