Friday, January 5, 2018

A Tale of Da Feet

I spent a week in Florida over the Christmas holidays. While the main purpose was to visit family, I admit I was thrilled at the opportunity to photograph birds. It is not that I have no chance of doing so in Northern Wyoming in the winter but there is no doubt the avian population here is greatly reduced in terms of species this time of year. 

This first collection of Florida birds is not representative of my best shots - instead it is a small study in the incredible diversity of feet!  
It is easy to see why Anhingas are commonly known as Darters in many places! In this shot I was able to get a really good look at the bird's large webbed feet which it uses to propel itself through the water as it swims in search of food. 

 I wasn't planning on including this photo of a Great Blue Heron flying overhead but I was struck by the length and straightness of the bird's legs and feet as it soared by. I am sure it is incredibly aerodynamic with its neck pulled in and its legs stretched out behind it.


The Common Moorhen has really impressive feet with remarkably long toes that help it walk on floating vegetation. I am not sure I have ever seen one perched on a branch before but it really allowed me a good look at the oversized yellow-green appendages!
One of the easiest ways to identify a Snowy Egret is by its "golden slippers". I usually try to avoid photographing birds and animals from behind but in this case the easily seen feet were the focus!
Wood Storks use their feet as well as their bills to stir up prey as they move through the water. It is not unusual to see them standing at rest with one foot raised and relaxed. I always think "tree pose" of yoga should be renamed "stork pose"!

No comments:

Post a Comment