Friday, January 31, 2014

Photographing Snow

 I just returned from a four day snow, sun and stars photography workshop in Yellowstone Park. Several people, including my husband, asked me why I was taking a workshop in something that I do all the time. In this case there were two main reasons: the location and the subject matter.

It is pretty hard to pass up any opportunity to be in the Park in winter. It is truly a magical time of year. Not only are there far fewer people, the landscape just seems to come alive when it is covered by snow.

I actually did not know the work of the two instructors before the class. But I have to say that Terry Donnelly and Tom Kirkendall are not only amazing photographers, they are two of the most generous teachers I have ever met. They gave of their time and information without any restrictions. They must have both been exhausted by the end of the workshop but I never heard either one of them turn down a request for help or advice from a student.
 I ended up with a couple dozen shots I really love out of the four days. We were incredibly lucky to have clear skies on the day we wanted to shoot Mammoth Hotsprings and snowy conditions much of the rest of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment