Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Migration

 We drove to Utah for the Easter weekend. Ken was driving as we crossed the state line and I was looking out the window, scouring the area for bird life, as usual. In a flooded field just off the road I noticed a bunch - maybe a hundred - of black birds. It wasn't until we were upon them that I identified them as white faced ibis. This is by far the largest grouping of this rather rare bird I have ever seen! Ken made a U-turn and we drove by again as I got my camera ready. Just before we got in position to take some shots a harrier swooped in from above and scattered the startled flock. They re-grouped halfway across the field and so my photos are less than ideal. At least they exposed the one lone crane that had been hiding in their midst!

No comments:

Post a Comment